+57 300 3590989 info@englandeducation.co
What qualifications do I need to do the CELTA?

The entry requirement is that you are a proficient English language user (between CEFR Level C1 and C2 or above) and educated to the standard required for entry into higher education.

How often do I need to attend the online course?

On the part-time course, twice a week (Tuesdays & Thursdays from 18:00-20:15) and Saturdays from 08:00 to 12:00; for 16 weeks.

How many hours per week do I need to set aside for study?

Apart from teaching practice and the hours you spend in the course, you will need to spend about 20 hours a week at home on lesson planning, writing assignments and self-study (although this may vary slightly, depending on the week!)

What’s the difference between TEFL/TESOL and CELTA?

CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is the name of the initial teaching qualification. TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) is the name of the profession, although the terminology is changing and many professionals now speak of ELT (English Language Teaching).  There are many TEFL (ELT) courses offered but the CELTA is the most respected by language schools recruiting teachers with a TEFL (ELT) qualification.

What is teaching practice?

You’ll be teaching 6 hours in total, you will receive your teaching practice timetable along with the course timetable at the beginning of the course. This will be scheduled two weeks prior to the course.

What are the assignments like?

You will need to do four written assignments, each one being 700 – 1,000 words. They require some reading and research, but also have a practical focus, and complement the teaching practice. You need to pass a minimum of three assignments to pass the course.

I have never taught professionally before. Is CELTA a suitable course for me?

Yes. CELTA is both a beginners’ course, designed for those who have never taught at a professional level before, and it is also suitable for individuals who have previously been teaching English without a formal certification. You will receive ongoing support from your tutors (and colleagues!)

I have teaching experience but don’t have a formal qualification. Can I do CELTA?

Yes. Many experienced teachers take the CELTA. If you have a CELTA qualification, you can work in accredited language schools across the world. Since the course emphasises group work you may find your experience is useful to others on the course. You will certainly add new techniques to your repertoire and build on your existing skills..

How can I find out if my English is good enough to do a CELTA course?

According to Cambridge, if English is not your first language, you should have a strong C1 (on the CEFR scale) level of English. This is equivalent to having passed the Cambridge C1 Advanced exam, or gained a 7.0 IELTS score. However, you do not need to provide formal proof of your level – your language ability will be assessed during the application process to ensure that your English skills are strong enough to cope with the course requirements.

Do I need to have a degree to do the course?

No. It is recommended that you have educational qualifications that would allow entry to Higher Education but your previous work experience will also be taken into consideration. You are advised to consult individual embassies for accurate information and advice.

Is this course recognised?

The CELTA is the most recognized TEFL (ELT) certificate all over the world and is often a requirement to gain employment in English Language schools.

What is the interview process like?

You will be asked to complete some language awareness tasks and a short piece of writing. The interviewer, a CELTA course tutor, will then follow up on points of interest in the task by asking you to comment and expand on your answers. The tutor will then describe what the course consists of, and answer any questions you have. At the end of the interview, the tutor will decide if we are able to offer you a place on the course.

Is it easy to find a job after the CELTA?

If you wish to apply to high quality English Language Academies or Schools, most of them will probably ask for a CELTA certificate. The above applies locally and internationally. Towards the end of the course, you will be given some general advice on looking for work. Tutors can provide references for those candidates that need them.

If I decide to drop out of the course, will I be eligible for a refund?

No. That’s why we interview potential trainees very carefully and provide as much information as possible so that you know exactly what you are getting into!

Is there an exam?

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this No. You will be assessed on Teaching Practice (including lesson planning), assignments and professional conduct.

How will I be assessed on the course?

Assessment on the course is continuous and integrated, taking into account teaching skills, written assignments and professionalism, with each assessed component contributing to the overall grade. Trainees are given feedback by the tutors on their teaching and have two tutorials during the course at which they discuss their progress. All tutors working on the course discuss each trainee’s progress before deciding on the final grade.

What grades are awarded at the end?

The possible grades are Pass A, Pass B, Pass, Withdrawn or Fail. It is very rare to get an A and not that common to get a B. The majority of candidates get a Pass

Does anyone fail?

It is possible to fail – for example, if your teaching has not reached the standard specified by Cambridge, or if you don’t pass three out of four assignments. Candidates who withdraw but do not do so in writing will also be given a Fail grade.

How intensive is the course?

The CELTA is very intensive! Even if you take the part-time course, you will need to make sure you have few other commitments as you will need to dedicate about 20 hours a week to studying, lesson preparation and writing assignments.

Can I miss any days of the course?

You must attend at least 80% of the course. If you have to be absent due to illness, you will need to provide a doctor’s letter. All absences are recorded and must be accounted for.

What is the price?

1,690 USD